Advertly Ads Platform facilitates the quick and easy delivery of advertising onto your website.
An advertiser is a person or company who wants to display advertising on your (or some other) website via your Advertly installation. Each advertisers will have one or more campaigns.
A campaign is set of related advertisements that an advertiser wants to display. Campaigns allow shared details, such as the dates to start and stop showing the ads, and the frequency with the ads are displayed, to be managed in a consistent way across the related ads (called banners in Advertly). Each campaign that an advertiser has will have one or more banners.
A banner is the content (called a creative in Advertly) and the associated properties that make up an on-line advertisement. A banner is what the visitors to a website will see displayed to then as the “ad”, and be able to click on or interact with in some way. A banner’s creative can be a static image, some HTML code, a Flash banner, text or a video ad.
A website in Advertly is simply a placeholder to collect together all of the zones for a website on which you will display banners. Accordingly, websites will have one or more zones. A website in Advertly can also be thought of as representing the publisher.
A zone is a defined area on a website where banners will be displayed.
Zone Invocation Codes/Tags
A zone invocation code (or zone invocation tag – the terms are used interchangeably) is a small piece of code that can be inserted into a website to display the relevant banner(s) that are linked to the tag’s zone.
Campaign or Banner / Zone Linking
In order to display a given banner to a website visitor, the desired banner that should be shown needs to be associated (i.e. linked) to the relevant zone(s) for the website. This way, Advertly knows which banners to display when the relevant zone invocation tag is invoked on a website.
Campaigns and banners can be linked to zones from three different locations in Advertly:
- At the campaign level, via a specific campaign;
- At the banner level, via a specific banner; and
- At the zone level.
The amount of advertising “space” that a website (or part of a website) has available to sell; this may be as simple as the number of zones per page multiplied by the number of page views – however, many advertisers will only want to purchase part of this inventory, so the effective inventory may be less.
A small piece of code that can be inserted into a website to “track” so called actions, acquisitions or conversions.
Advertlyhas the ability to track and report on the following banner delivery statistics:
- Requests: Whenever a request to display a banner is made (from a zone invocation code), Advertly can be configured to immediately log a “request” to note that the request for a banner was made.
- Impressions: Once Advertly has selected a banner to display, and the banner has been successfully loaded for the user to view, then Advertly can be configured to log an “impression”.
- Clicks: If a user clicks on a banner, Advertly can be configured to log a “click”.
- Conversions: In the event that a tracker tag is triggered by a user and this can be associated with a previous action by that user, then Advertly will log a “conversion”. (This is not a configurable option; conversions that occur will always be logged.)